EMBERS CEO Wins Prestigious University of Manitoba Award
We’re over the moon excited to announce that Marcia, our CEO, is this year’s recipient of the University of Manitoba (UM) Distinguished Alumni Award for Professional Achievement.
UM’s Distinguished Alumni Awards honour graduates of their programs who demonstrate outstanding innovation and leadership in their fields. Their award for professional achievement specifically recognizes graduates who set a “standard of professional excellence to which others can aspire.” This year, they chose Marcia, and we can’t wait to honour her at their Celebration of Excellence on May 8.
Here’s what they wrote about Marcia:
“When Marcia Nozick graduated with her masters in city planning, she could have picked a number of ways to make a name for herself, such as designing a new suburban development or transportation corridor. Instead, she chose to revitalize Canada’s poorest neighbourhood: Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. In 2001, she founded EMBERS, an innovative temporary labour company, and has since helped thousands of people facing work barriers attain full-time employment and reintegrate into society. Today, EMBERS is a multi-million dollar social enterprise, and Nozick is a nationally-renowned community champion.”
Hard work pays off
Marcia and EMBERS have been recognized nationally and internationally for achievements in community development. Here are a few of our other notable awards:
- Influential Women in Business Award, Business in Vancouver (2017)
- Woman of Distinction Award, YWCA (2016)
- Social For Good Award, Women in Biz Network (2015)
- RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur of the Year, TPH Charitable Giving Award (2015)
- Vancouver Award for Excellence, Healthy City for All (2015)
- Canada’s Top Social Enterprise, Trico (2013)
- Social Enterprise Dragons Den, Vancity (2012)
Please join us in congratulating Marcia for her tremendous achievement and leadership in our community.